Re: xy3 installation problems

> Do you see a splash screen (or any other sign of intelligent life)
> momentarily,
> before the hang, or just a black screen and nothingness? If the latter, I
> guess we've arrived (rather quickly) at the end of the road.

when it hangs, it hangs immediately after pressing enter. the screen doesn't
clear, no spash screen, no apparent progress at all. you can still see the
previous DOS prompts/commands/results on the screen.

one interesting (although irrelevant) difference i've noticed: when running
the xy3 editor in a directory by itself, it doesn't hang, but instead the QP
shuts down.

> But I faintly remember running XyWrite (v2? v3?) on a 40-character wide
> screen, just as an experiment, and it worked.  Long long ago. Is there a
> BIOS on this machine that could set screen width to 40? Or, for that
> matter, to 80?

to my knowledge, the QP does not have a BIOS at all. although i'll send this
question to a QP mailing list i'm on, as they tend to be better-informed.

> Do a "MODE /?" to find out what the correct syntax of the command is.
> Then try Xy3. EDITOR might possibly be checking the screen setting when it
> launches... it may understand 40 columns. 60 columns is really
> non-standard...

the DOS on the QP is apparently old or incomplete, as it doesn't have a MODE
command. typing 'VER' gives me: "General Software Embedded DOS-ROM 4.3
(REV0)". (that's "rev. zero", not "revo".)

there is a program that gives the QP a virtual 80x25 screen -- it's a TSR and
it let's you scroll off the edges of the screen with control-key combos -- but
it hasn't helped either. even if it did help, i suspect it would drive me
batty, having to constantly shift the screen around to see the other 50% of my
text.

thanks,
cam