Re: Re Mystery of the Missing Scrfonts.bin

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  on Sat, 10
Dec 2005 17:05:17 -0500

SCRFONTS.BIN was part of Signature. It was dumped in Xy4. Consequently,
Default XY, a legacy DF spec, can be used for something else. I use it (in
personal programming) to record (via DFL, of course) the location of %COMSPEC%,
i.e. the first directory in the the DOS "Path" -- which is the place to put all
freestanding utilities and other programs that have global use (because if the
system can't find an unqualified [no d:\path\ specified] file in the current
directory, it looks there first).

There are a number of legacy defaults, not needed or used by Xy4. They're a
cheap way to store data all the time on your machine, without usurping a
Save/Get or taking space in the Xy REGistry. Whether they actually conserve
overall XyWrite memory, I don't know.

AOP AutOsavePath is another one. If you consider Autosaving to be execrable
and you turn it off (AOT=0,0), it's available. GP GraphicsPath -- does
*anybody* integrate graphics into their Xy docs? Has anyone *ever* integrated
graphics into a Xy doc? If so, we want your DNA and blood type, because you
are rare. No PCLEX dictionaries? DF LX. Network Log files? DF NL. Convert
file formats on the command line with W4W, or (better yet) via NBWin? DF WW.

How about DFs that store numbers? My favorite is KP, which signals that I'm
running my [t]rusty Kaypro box. The range is 0-65535. Etc etc.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx