A very basic printing question re XY3

I've already consulted Brian's site on this (which remains a great job and a fine resource), but did not find what I was looking for. I'm dealing with a  relative's XY3 setup, which got transferred to a newer, more up-to-date desktop computer. The problem is that it only seems to offer an LPT3 printer port, and if that can be changed, it may be more trouble than it's worth. Better to do some sort of workaround. For the time being, I've had him doing each printer job via a Post-It Note reminder with

       TYF filename ,lpt3

       or variations thereto, like a page-range

In Xy4, it would be a matter of changing the printer defaults in the appropriate section of
SETTINGS.DFL. But this is not available in Xy3. Issuing  DEFAULT lpt3  at the CM gets an error
that this default is not settable there, so I expect it must be a No Go for STARTUP.INT as well. Is
there some sneaky default workaround for Xy3's printer port assignment that I'm overlooking ?

 Jordan