Save (backup)

I'm a bit premature with this post since my new machine will not be in
front of me for a week or so, but...
Working on a W98SE in XyDos, I have two keys dedicated to "save," one to a
floppy and the other to a ZIP drive. I "save" to the floppy at the end of
every paragraph, to the ZIP Drive at the end of the day's work. I'm getting
a ThinkPad with a CD-RW drive. I'm getting a USB floppy drive, plus I
simply plug in my ZIP 100, after I install the driver, but reading about
packet-writing software, I want to try to "save" to the CD-RW drive. Does
anyone do this now -- use a CD-RW for to "save" data files as one would
with a floppy. And has anyone coordinated the packet writing software with
XyDos? In other words, can you put a save routine on a key for the CD-RW?
I don't know what software comes bundled with the Thinkpad, but if anyone
has used both Nero and RSJ and can compare the two, that would also be most
helpful.

Michael Norman