Re: Xy under OS/2 (Was: running xy 3+ under windows xp - aarrgghhh!)

** Reply to message from "Chris Madsen"  on Tue, 24
Jun 2003 09:10:52 -0400

> As I said, the decision to move to VB was not decided democratically.

No indeed, it was decided frankly.

But seriously: why would he and his partners buy XyQuest and XyWrite in order
to port it (whatever "it" is) to Wierd? That seems like sheer lunacy.

But I wish he would; maybe then he'd spring XyWrite into the public domain,
where it belongs. It's a very unhappy and unsatisfying ending.

So then what does "VBX 0,76" mean? Shift_state 0 [unshifted?],key 76?
referring to some standard KBD file? Why is the command named "VBX", if it's
just a call to a KBD file shortcut? Or is "0,76" a VB routine named after the
keystroke that calls it? (So much for KBD file customization! It's a striking
thing that in the NB maillist, everybody without exception refers to a command
by its keystroke in NB.KBD -- Ctrl-this, Alt-that -- they _never_ refer to the
actual underlying funcs+commands, and, hence, have near-zero comprehension of
what's going on beneath the hood. That, coupled with the total absence of
explanatory docs, or any maillist assistance from NB-NYC -- except for someone
who bobs up every once in a while, trying to sell product -- and you might as
well be running Wierd. NB's approach to their product is the ANTITHESIS of
XyQuest's approach. I mean, I know -- and you surely know better -- that
product support can be incredibly painful, plus all the beating up on the poor
SysOp -- but one consequence is fanatical devotion, for better or worse.)

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx