Re: Warning: Trolling for Dollars, Scammers hard at work {was: forged Failure Notice}

** Reply to message from "J. R. Fox"  on Mon, 14 Jul 2003
21:32:30 -0800

> The site pages looked legit, replete with the right URL, official
> logos, the TRUST-e insignia, their insistence of confidentiality and SSL encryption.
> I mean, it all looked spot on.
>
> But they were asking for things like Social Security #, mother's maiden name, etc.

I just got one of these from PayPal. It looks genuine, but there is something
fishy about it -- a little too terse and pithy. Asking for just about every
piece of ID data I'd ever use, e.g. answers to a bunch of test questions, bank
data, the whole works. Much to be cautious about these days. When are they
going to start cracking down on unsolicited email? I'm getting over 100
spams/day. Disgusting stuff too. Sooooo tired of it.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx