Greetings

    Hi! My father suggested that I include this BBS in my survival
kit while he's away in case I run into any problems with XyWrite or need
some computer advice. (Who needs computer advice? It's computer money
that I need.) And Mr. Kisor was kind enough to give me logon privileges
so I thought I would say hello and test some of these comm scripts my
father uses.
    My sister got married but didn't leave me any of her clothes.
She said she was getting married, not dying, but I did get her bedroom
and my computer appears to be hooked up and running A-OK!
    I have been learning XyWrite and like it. I particularly like
the way I can bend and shape it to look and operate as I wish it to. So
far any feature I've reached for is supported and that's good. It takes
some time to get it right because there are a lot of dials to turn and
switches to flick but once I'm satisfied with something I punch it into
my default settings, so I don't mind the study. It's kind of like the
synthesizer on my stereo. I move switches to get a sound pleasing to me
even though it may drive everyone else in the house up the wall.
    I wish DOS was more graphical. I plan to study oceanography and
marine biology in college and the graphical databases on Unix computers
are amazing. How come DOS is so popular? Is it because it ran less
expensive computers than Unix in the beginning? I may be wrong but it
seems to me DOS computers are primarily business computers while Unix
computers support science and technological research. We have DOS
workshops and MAC workshops at my high school but no Unix. When I sit
in at the biomarine labs at a local college, everything is Unix. To
view a species of fish in 3-dimensional overlays via database searching
is so helpful and the Unix systems knock it out in a snap. DOS gropes,
gags, and coughs and still can't do it. I don't understand all the
celebration over DOS but I'm fairly new to different kinds of computers
so don't really know what's going on. It seems DOS owns the lead in
portability and that's important too.
    Thanks for listening and nice to meet you.
                               Jessie