Re: OT: Quick substitute for re-booting

At 02:44 AM 9/4/2006, Flash wrote:

There is another phenonemon which slows Win considerably when powering down. If your Win machine needs more than 60 seconds to power down and seems to hang at or just before the "saving your settings" stage, check your event viewer application log (not the system log) for the following error message (see attached jpeg): "Windows cannot unload your reg file.....". If you have that error, whether or not you have roaming profiles, you need a patch to correct it. If anyone needs the patch, let me know: I have it.

Sounds like this is related to Event 1517, Userenv, Version: 5.2.,
which I get on shutdown and which exhibits the behavior you describe, to wit, *Windows saved user %1 registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.*
But I assume your patch is specific to Event 1000?

Michael Norman