Re: XPL questions

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Sun, 03 Sep
2006 23:17:23 -0400

Harry:

> BTW, why CH rather than CI?

You realize, don't you, that CH and CI are identical commands?
CH works EXACTLY like CI. There is NO difference.
That's what I recalled, but it didn't hurt to ask.

The old behavior
of CH -- performing one change at a time in quick succession and
moving the cursor momentarily to the situs of each change -- was
abandoned 15 years ago, in Signature, and thereafter in Xy4 and all
its successors. The old behavior was relegated to the CHANGE
command, which nobody ever uses (because it's not particularly
useful, and because nobody even knows it exists). All this was
documented in Signature: Making the Transition, p. 3-4.

I use CH rather than CI to publicize the evolution of the command
(yeah, right, so much for that!), and because it's the more natural
mnemonic for "change". Obviously CI had to be retained for the sake
of legacy code, but, in programs written in and for Xy4 and later, I
see no reason to emphasize the "invisible" feature of this command,
now that neither command works "visibly".
I guess not, except that being an old timer I have automatized CI.

Thanks for the explanation.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx