Re: Booklet printing

I don't exactly have an XPL routine, but I did draw up some notes the
last time I did it, so that I shouldn't have to figure it out from
scratch the next time. The two things to be careful about are formatting
with alternating page margins and using the "print range of pages"
commands. If you're using 8.5 X 11 paper landscape, for example, the
lefthand offset should be 5.5 in. plus your desired margin, and the
righthand offset, the desired margin. Thus, for a half inch margin all
around, you'd format thus (I've used ≪ and ≫ for the guillemets, since
they come out wrong in my ANSI-based e-mail app):
≪OR1≫≪PW11IN≫≪FD8.5IN≫≪PB80≫≪OF6IN,.5IN≫≪TP0.0IN,.5IN≫≪BT.25
IN,.6IN,.5IN,1.34IN≫≪WD3≫≪OP3≫≪TS5DI,8DI,10DI,12DI≫ Then follow
these steps when printing:
1.	Determine total number of pages (TP), including unnumbered pages at
front. Be sure there are enough of those so that first page of the real
text will be an odd-numbered (lefthand side) page.
2.	If TP is evenly divisible by 4, OK; if not, add pages to make it so.
3.	Set default SQ=1.
4.	Print 1 to (TP/2)-1, Odd.
5.	Replace pages in printer, in order they came out (i.e. last odd page
printed is on top), and oriented as before.
6.	Print (TP/2)+2 TO TP, Even.
7.	Remove pages; spread of first and last page will be on top. Flip them,
leaving in same order and orientation.
8.	Print (TP/2)+1 to TP-1, odd.
9.	Remove sheets, leave as they are and reinsert.
10.	Print 2 to (TP/2)-2, even.
11.	Booklet is done.
This dosen't always work if you have too many unnumbered or small
roman-numbered front matter pages; in that case, create a separate file
for them, print them, and then print the rest. You'll have extra blank
pages at the back. (The problems arise from XyWrite's not always honoring
the Set Page No. function within the Print Page No. command.)
Patricia M. Godfrey
P and Q Editorial Services