Installing the Thesaurus

Sherry:

You didn't say what you have done so far to install Robert Holmgren's
thesaurus. If you haven't unpacked it, when you unpack the zip file you will
find two files, roget.txt and roget.pm. The first is the text of the
thesaurus, which you will want to put in your main XY directory. Roget.pm is
the program that accesses it. If you have not yet probed the mystery of help
frames you can, as the file explains, simply run roget.pm as a program. To
try it out, all you have to do is put your cursor on the word you want to
look up, go to the command line, type "run [path]roget.pm", and execute.

If you decide you like it, you can assign the program to any key by editing
the keyboard. I like it well enough to put it on F10. I just opened my
custom keyboard, found that F10 is key 68, found in the table for unshifted
keys the line that begins "68=", and changed it so it reads:

68=bc,r,u,n, ,c,:,\,x,y,\,r,\,r,o,g,e,t,.,p,m,xc

Of course if you keep the program in a different directory than c:\xy\r,
you will want to substitute.

N. Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania