Re: Pre-Xy

Actually I started with a runoff program that I wrote which enabled me to
use the UCSD P-system Pascal editor as a text editor--on a (pre-IBM PC) Terak.
Then, with my first PC, there was EasyWriter. First version was outside of
DOS, then EWII moved to DOS files. A self-contained system that stored
formatted pages--which made changes in an existing document slow, with a
lot of grinding. Exporting out to DOS was a mild pain. Fairly good (easy
to remember and systematic) use of function etc. keys, but not much
flexibility. Worked off of floppies, but then I discovered RAMdrives,
which sped it up some. Then a friend told me about XyWrite (II, I
think--but soon we were in III).
                        David

At 02:25 PM 6/23/2003 -0400, you wrote:
In a message dated 6/23/2003 1:12:31 PM Eastern Standard Time, jr_fox@xxxxxxxx writes:

> Come on Robert, Carl. What did you use prior to Xy ?
> Inquiring minds want
> to know.
Why not all of us? Mine was Radio Shack's SuperScripsit on a TRS-80 III and 4P portable. Very serviceable, but occasionallyl files crashed into something that looked like Danish - unrecoverably - sometimes with just the wrong combo of keystrokes (which I could neither remember nor reproduce). Graduated to a Leading Edge 'puter just so I could run XyIII and later XyIIIplus. Never bothered with LEWP.

Tim Baehr