Re: XYWin hogs CPU

Dear Harry

Harry Binswanger wrote:
What do you mean by "console" here? A menu, or Xy formatted for Tame? Maybe a screen shot would be helpful.
The screen that you see when you launch XY4 under Tame (and when it
works) is what the author calls the Tame console. I can reproducibly
launch XY4 with Tame 5.0 and get this tame console, and behind it the
normal XY4 window that I would have seen if Tame was not there. It is
easy to see that both are running by calling a DIR or file, when both
windows become populated with the same data. This doesn't happen with
Tame 6.0, though I have a fair crop of other problems.
Yes, but I *never* work in full screen mode, always in windowed. Can't see the attraction of full-screen: Tame gives you all the visual goodies you want (font size, spacing) in windowed and you still have access to all your other programs. And you can get the mouse pointer out of the way. Try windowed for a while, with 43 or 50 lines, and you'll never go back.
I've already tried using XY4 windowed and repeatedly gone back. This is
a matter of taste, but one of the wonders of XY for me (and for others
from comments I seem to recall on the message group) is that in full
screen mode it is the nearest thing on a computer to a sheet of paper in
a typewriter. There are absolutely no distractions. Once you run in
Windowed mode, distractions start to appear.
With Tame 6.0 (which I assume must be the same as your 5.1, though it calls itself 6 on the website and when installed)

No, 6.0 is a different thing. And 5.1 comes in 10 or so different versions.
Where does Tame 5.1 in any version come from? I can only download Tame
5.0 or Tame 6.0 rc9. Perhaps you could send me a copy of the last
version of Tame 5.1 you have and I'll see if I have any better luck with
that.
With Tame 6.0 if I set sl=43 and a similar setting in a Tame
configuration file I end up with full screen or a Tame console that is
43 lines long but for some reason XY sees less than 43 lines so that I
have a red line across the screen near the bottom. Whatever I try and
whatever combination of settings I use for anything other than 25 lines,
this happens. Only with Tame 5.0, with 50 lines, have I found a way to
evade this. Perhaps the Tame 5.1 versions perform better in this respect.

I don't know what TextHeight=10 means or does.
TextHeight is the height of a letter in screen pixels. 10 pixels is
pretty small.

Paul