Re: Upgrading: Precautions before

At 11:55 AM 1/10/03 -0500, Emery Snyder wrote:

>One caveat though: I've found that in copying the whole Xy setup from
>a CD, Windows tends to want to make all the directories and files read
>only, which will prevent various parts of Xy from working. So after
>you copy the stuff from the CD, you have to change the status of the
>files. I seem to recall postings that implied that other people had
>the same behavior. I've had it on Windows 98SE and Windows 2000
>Professional.

That's because when you copy files to a CD-R, they become read-only files
on the CD-R. When you copy them back, you're copying them as read-only
files. According to my reading of the help screen, XCopy should the read
attribute, but I haven't tried it.

I agree that it's a snap to change attributes with ZTree.

BTW, I back up my Xy files and my Xy program directory onto a single CD
every week, so I have the program and the data files backed up in one
place. I think I could boot and run XyWrite off that CD.

Norman

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D
New York, NY 10019