Help with protection violation

Jordan wrote: "I don't believe the install puts anything of consequence
into the Win Registry, " Indeed not. XyWin puts everything in its own
directory/folder. That's why the best method of "installing" it under
32-bit Windows (even 9x) is to copy an installation from an older
machine.
	BUT, that "Insufficient memory" message can mean that something in
Windows is using a chunk of RAM that XyWin expects to be available. Last
spring I kept getting that when I tried to run XyWin, though the EXACT
same XyWin setup ran fine on another machine. (The real kicker was that
it wouldn't run on a 333 MHz K62 with 123 Mb of RAM, but would run on a
P120 with 24 Mb of RAM.) Then even XyDOS started refusing to run in a
Windows DOS box, with no message at all (just hung after the screen
blanked for the shift to DOS mode); it would run if I rebooted to DOS,
but boot time on that old machine was so slooow... I ended up getting new
hardware and "upgrading" to 98 SE (which, IMHO, is WORSE than 1st ed, but
has drivers I needed for the new hardware).
	The point is that it is something of a miracle that we can use Xy at
all. Windows' DOS Virtual Machine is evidently an elaborate shell game,
telling applications that they're using addresses in RAM that they really
aren't. (To see what I mean, open a DOS prompt and type Mem. You'll get a
listing of Expanded and Extended used and available that makes NO
mathematical sense whatsoever. For example, my system reads: Extended:
Total 65,535 K; Used ?; Free 245,000.) Xy (DOS and Win) have always been
very determined about what RAM they used. I recall not being able to
install under MS DOS 6.x if MemMaker had been run, and TTG always ran it
under Novell DOS, which has DOS Protected Mode capabilities.
	Chris, thanks for the tip about having a Windows Printer driver
installed. I recall falling foul of that little gotcha once when I was
switching printers.
Patricia