A Critique of Word & Co.

              xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:41:45 -0400
From: Patricia M Godfrey

> . . . I was beginnning to think we were the only ones to realize
that the emperor has no clothes. It's not just the horridly
unintuitable GUI, it's the obvious fact that Win--at least 9x, and 2K
is overkill for some of us--_doesn't work._ The wretched thing is as
buggy as all-get-out. And as for Weird . . .

We are not alone. See _The Invisible Computer_ by Donald Norman
(1998 MIT):

`By 1992 the word processing program Microsoft Word had 311 commands.
. . . Five years later . . . 1,033 commands.'

In 2003? The count may well match the year.

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle