Subject: Re: This time a real clip bug: it crashes...

Robert Holmgren  wrote:
≫I don't know why it works fine on my machines, but not on≪
≫ your machine -- however, that appears to be the case.≪
As I also use Win 98 SE, and run in Windowed mode, I've been testing this too. That one file of Bob's (part1.2) did cause the kernel32.dll error message. BUT when I called that file in Xy and used native Xy copy routine to copy it to itself, thereby doubling it, and then tried to CLIP it, it Clipped without a whimper. Otherwise (except for that one case last month with the 3=byte char) I've had no problems with CLIP. You say CLIP is a Windows app, so it cannot be a question of DOS memory boundaries. And anyway, that would be the same on all machines--unless VGA RAM were involved. The size of the block being Clipped does seem to be relevant.

≫What's the date of KERNEL32.DLL (in \WINDOWS\SYSTEM)? ≪

FWIW, mine is 4/23/99.
Hmm, could this have any bearing? I run with the US International, rather than the standard US keyboard, in Windows. Could that have any effect on unicode handling? (Except that I have to remember to switch to US standard when using a KMD session: with US International, I cannot type quotation marks or tildes in a KMD session, so cannot type long file names at a KMD prompt, either in short form--with tildes--or in quotes. A pain in the clavicle.)

Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx