Re: program with callnext

** Reply to message from "morris krok"  on Tue, 21 Dec
2004 07:52:18 +0200

> At no time did I intend using it in u2.

Then what was the purpose of "BC callnextXC "? There is no native command
named "callnext". CALLNEXT is a U2 frame. You mentioned CALLNEXT in your
initial message ("The attached program, execom.pm is useful with Robert's
Callnext U2 found in XYwwweb.u2").

> It does work just by ldpming it when needed.

*No way* would that program work as you wrote it, whether LDPMed or launched
anywhichway. Not unless you've reformatted U2, inserted "^^" in front of frame
CALLNEXT, and turned Command Override "ON" -- something that would render U2
inoperative in most respects -- so Catch 22...

> I assume that your improved version of my program can be used in U2

Not without formatting it for U2, i.e. putting it within a proper "frame". But
-- sure, of course it can. What does U2 have to do with it? *Any* programming
can be used in U2. U2 is just a library of programs, neither more nor less.
It's like asking whether a book can go in your library. Sure -- if you want to
put it there.

You ask for "a dictionary of XPL codes that are specific to XY4". That is
going to be a very small dictionary! Let's see: SV SX SU GT IF EI ER @UPR
@CNV @DAT @ABS = + - î ð & ! LB GL VA PR CU RK RC (are we done yet?) CP XS IS
PV EX EX1 @SIZ ... without doubt I've forgotten this and that, but offhand...
its a very small vocabulary. The economy of the thing is amazing. Add the
functions, variables, and commands -- and that's the language.

If you want to understand how that program that I returned to you works, e.g.
for comparison with your original code, CAll it into a window, command
IFENDIF, and then hit the "Y" key at the next PRompt. The program
will be displayed as "structured" programming. The more complex the program,
the more insightful a structured view.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx