Re: VGA Full Screen Fonts for XyWrite

** Reply to message from Michael Norman  on Mon, 20 Dec
2004 19:42:09 -0500

> [Some] full-screen fonts ... strike the eye more easily than others, but
> all, of course, suffer from the native matrix -- those lines in the
> characters

You mean, you see the scanning lines of the analog VGA screen? Well, VGA fonts
are, by definition, an 8x8 matrix -- but you lived with that under DOS in the
old days, I never heard any complaints then, so why is it so objectionable now?
Moreover, on a good notebook screen with good "screen expansion" (e.g. my
Thinkpad T23) you don't see any scanning lines at all.

> I'm going to continue to tweak/struggle with the Dos Box in XP
> (we still have not, for example, resolved the double cursor issue when you
> load U2)

I'm not aware of this "issue". I don't see two cursors, and I have many XP
machines. Could you describe this more precisely -- and explain why you
ascribe the effect (whatever it is) to U2? U2 doesn't create (or intend to
create) a "double cursor".

> I came across the following site and wanted to pass it on
>  http://www.procon.com.au/HVFullSc.htm

I don't find any fonts there that can be downloaded freely (are there?). VGA
fonts are old technology; they are (or should be) free. Anybody have any links
to free fullscreen fonts that they'd like to share? There are a lot of them
around, but it might take some looking to find them. There are also capture
utilities, which read the ROM fonts in the BIOS and turn them into a loadable
font file.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx