Re: DOS Window Font Nomenclature and Identification; Firefox

** Reply to message from "M.C."  on Tue, 21 Dec 2004 00:10:26
+0100

> I have discovered by chance that,
> under NT4, fonts of the same size can live together and can be selected
> via Properties at my convenience. Are you able to reproduce this scenario?

Well, I haven't fired up NT4 to verify it; but ... what's the point, finally?
It *doesn't* work in 2K or XP, and it just doesn't make sense to use NT4
anymore -- not when 2K and XP are such vastly superior evolutions of NT.

But between 2K and XP, I don't see much difference. Jon Pareles mentioned a
program that only works under XP (I forget which), and maybe there are an
increasing number of XP-only programs (or hardwares), but... I don't have any
-- yet.

Speaking of programs, no New Yorker could have overlooked the two-page
advertisement celebrating the release of Firefox v1.0 in the New York Times two
days ago. I've been using beta Firefox for a year or so on some machines
(Mozilla or Netscape on the rest), and it really is a sweet alternative to the
execrable Internet Explorer. The ad coincided with a devastating attack on IE
in the Times (link should be up for five more days):

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/19/business/yourmoney/19digi.html

Unfortunately, you _still_ are notified, every 12 hours or so, about a
"critical security update", mostly related to bugs and holes and
vulnerabilities in IE, from Microsoft's Automatic Updates for NT. It makes you
wonder how poor 9x users are faring, since M$ doesn't bother to notify them of
anything at all, and they have IE from the last century... Firefox would be a
smart upgrade for them.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx