Re: Automatic file replacement in XYwin

Robert wrote:
Believe me, displaying a fixed amount of contextual material produces a more informative result *overall* than displaying the current sentence (which can be very short or ridiculously long, and looks terrible -- that was my starting
point, and I dumped it posthaste).

Makes a lot of sense. For one thing, "sentences" would be meaningless in
code. For another, how could any algorithm (even one crafted by Robert)
determine a sentence in English? You cannot just search forward and back
for a period followed by a capital letter. Oh, it might work 75 percent
of the time, but suppose you had a lot of proper names with abbreviated
titles: Sen. Joe Schmoe, Adm. Sir Richard Flounder, etc.?

That, by the by, is why grammar checkers are a bad joke. Spell checkers
are useful, if one is aware of their limitations, but grammar checkers?
Out upon them, fie upon them!

Patricia M. Godfrey