HOAX! Re: [Fwd: Fwd: Fw: new virus out read & pass on] -- stop sending chain letters.

Reply to note from "biltroop@xxxxxxxx"
 Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:25:44 -0400

-> I personally have never received a single warning that turned
-> out to be genuine.

99.999% of them are bogus. The other .001% are sent by large-
network administrators to their peers, not to ordinary folks like
us. The CIAC web site notes: "Validated warnings from the incident
response teams and antivirus vendors have valid return addresses and
are usually PGP signed with the organization's key." Anything else
should go right into the trash can. You'll hear about major
outbreaks on CNN, not by e-mail from your Aunt Tillie.

I wish there were some way to have the list processor filter out
these junk messages, but, alas, there isn't. Happily, they're
infrequent. The following sources can be used to verify hoaxes:

http://HoaxBusters.ciac.org/
http://www.datafellows.com/hoaxes/
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html

--