Re[2]: Year 2000 Compliant

Jim,

My XyWrite (DOS 4.017) also gives the panicked scream emoticon :0 for the
year 2000.

I find the occasional stupid little face in e-mails irritating enough and
am not about to look at a parade of them every time I call a directory.

Fortunately, this one is easy to fix. Put this default into your
SETTINGS.DFL file:

df FZ=MM-DD-YYYY

This changes the format of the file date in the directory listing to show
the full, four-digit year. A file created on 04-02-2000 will then be
listed exactly so. This seems to work fine from now till at least 2099
(the latest year my OS, Novell DOS, will accept), which ought to give TTG
enough time to come up with a factory fix. Your files will sort any way
you tell them to with the DSORT command.

Do it now and you'll be used to the four digit years (which at first looked
really strange to me) well before December.

If you insist on a two-digit year in any other XyWrite date command (DA or
TODAY), you'll need to do some programming to work around it. I've done
it, not especially elegantly, for a little time-date stamp I occasionally
put into files. I suggest everyone else follow Robert's lead and get right
on it after Christmas.

Regards,

Dan De Hainaut
103105.1262@xxxxxxxx