Re: spelling impaired writer

** Reply to note from "Jonathan Beard"  Tue, 10 Jun 97 21:01:06 -0500

>   However, I am a very poor typist, and make the same mistakes
>   over and over, such as...thier when I want their. The
>   spellchecker gives me....
>
>   shier tier trier their thief
>
>   Wouldn't it be nice if it would give me THEIR first? I could
>   live without seeing SHIER at all.

Do you have, on disk, a personal spell correction file? Perhaps called PERS.SPL?
If not, then create one. Put this on the first line of the file:

;SP;

Then make sure it includes a line such as:

thier their

Finally, make sure that you LOAD it in STARTUP.INT:

BX load d:\path\pers.splQ2

The most important part of your prayer will be answered. "Their" will be the
first (and therefore default) alternative offered to you when you spell-check
"thier". Although shier will still be also. (What is shier, anyway?)

These are Xy4-DOS instructions. Xy3+ is probably similar, I forget. You can
build this PERS.SPL file up (manually, or automatically, while spell-checking) to
be a quite impressive customized word- and correction-list. See your Manual,
under Spell.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx