Threading (Message-ID: 200212210734.gBL7YnBT007741@xxxxxxxx)

Good grief! Well, I must cry Mea culpa, for I'm sure my postings have
most flagrantly made mice feet of threading. For two reasons: First, that
I had never heard of message ids and had no idea of their relation to
threading. Utterly clueless, and am deeply grateful to Robert for his
enlightening disquisition. Second, the vagaries of my e-mail client, and
that's going to be a problem. My ISP, Juno, supplies a proprietary e-mail
client that has many useful features, and I have rarely used any other.
It has an odd way of treating digests, however, which is how I had been
receiving the XyW postings. It sends a sort of cover sheet, listing the
subject header and sender of each posting, but the postings themselves
are treated as attachments. Now the message ids are there, for when I
save the single message (comprising the cover sheet and all the
attachments) to a text file, and then open that file in Xy or EditPad,
they're there. But I cannot, from the Juno e-mail client, reply directly
to the attachments, only to the "cover sheet." Nor does there seem to be
any way I could copy and paste so as to "force feed" the message id to
the reply. I can access and change Send to, CC, and Subject, but message
id is not visible from my write screen, though it is from my read one.
	Once I understood that, I immediately notified the listproc to switch me
over to single messages. So now I can reply to individual messages. Only
now, I cannot save all of a day's postings to one text file in my XyInfo
folder. I must either say each posting separately, or open a text file in
Xy or EditPad before a session, then copy and paste each posting to it
and then save it. That is a royal pain. Juno's tech support is rather
bad, even by the debased standards of today's industry, so I don't expect
any help from them. Anyone have any ideas?
Merry Christmas to those who keep it, peace and quiet to those who don't.
Patricia