Re: The Dark Side Redux [NB utterly off topic]

Somehow I'm tempted to respond to mail asking about matters of which I know
nothing whatsoever. Jon Huber:

>a good friend offered to sell me his SGI machine running Unix
>at a very attractive price. It comes with $30 to $50k worth of
>image manipulation and digital animation software.

I think earlier-model Indies depreciate about as quickly as earlier-model
anything-elses. You might want to look at what the going rate is. As for
the price of the software, I don't see why it should indicate the quality:
famously, Unix software tends to be either horribly expensive or free; and
famously, some of the free stuff is extremely good. (Do you know gimp?)

>My Unix knowledge is zero, but he claims an old DOS user
>who uses XyWrite should have little difficulty.

He probably means less that DOS+Xy will help prepare you, more that you're
discerning and proven ability to learn something designed for the discerning.

Now maybe somebody can give you an informed reply that's worth reading, and
you can move this reply to the "trash" folder.
Peter Evans