Re: new pc finally arrived and have to make decisions-help

Harry Binswanger  wrote:
the footnotes had not been put in automatically with Word's
autonumber facility.≪

Even if they had been, how would you have rearranged the actual notes,
as opposed to their numbers? Word has a footnote/endnote function,
doesn't it? (Yes, I know it does, though I've never used it). And a
couple of people reported here in 11/04 that Xy footnotes go over to
RTF, and thence to Word, correctly through the conversion filters or
U2's Save to RTF function. So why on earth not write the thing in Xy,
then convert? Esp. since Xy's footnote capability is head and shoulders
above any other app's?

Let me, after years of wrestling with skew-whiff notes, implore people
to ALWAYS use the footnote function of your word processor (Xy by
preference, of course, but anything is better than typing numbers and
separate paragraphs of notes). In fact, I think you'd get into more
trouble using autonumbers if you're not using real footnotes: with real
notes, if you move the block of text containing the note, the note goes
along and gets renumbered in sequence. If you have hard numbers and move
one, at least you'll see that they're out of sequence. But if you just
have an autonumber in the text, and the note is someplace else, the note
number will re-sequence, but will now refer to the wrong note. Believe
me, I've seen it happen. The MS reads, "As Grubenbücher points
out≪MD+SU≫13≪MD-SU≫..." And then note 13 reads "Ibid., 23." Notes 12
and 11 are also "ibid.," and then 10 is--guess what? "Wissenkopf,
≪md+it≫Untersuchungen,≪md-it≫ p. 42." And then it turns out the
author is citing three books by Grubenbücher, and I have to write a
long, detailed query--of the kind authors hate getting. Thank whatever
powers you can for footnote functions, and use them.

Patricia M. Godfrey