Re: Was colour printing and more; now: problems with Microsoft NT

Unfortunately I have been unable to pick up the thread until now.

Weeks ago I wrote that I have had no problems at all with my DOS XyWrite
4.017 and MS W95. I should have added, however, except for the screen saver.
XyWrite does not tolerate it; somehow the editor get stuck, i.e. does not
respond to keyboard, mouse or the operative system. Text or whatever on
screen intact.

So to the details Robert Holmgren kindly asked for:
Hardware Fujitsu PC with MMX Pentium II (230 MHz), 64 MB RAM, CD ROM drive
24x, NT operative system version 4.0. The about 3 gigab. disk is partitioned
in C: with NT file system, and D: with FAT. I have also learned that, on the
NT, you have to look for the autexec.nt and config.nt: Both path statements
and FILES (>28) have been arranged for. I was advised to put my DOS XyWrite
on the D: disk (with the FAT). All XyWrite directories were accordingly
copied over from the old W95-PC to the new NT-one via a special setup
(rooter etc). It was done in no time, and no problems encountered at all
during such an installation including making the icon etc. But it took some
time to change all "C:'s" to "D:'s" in my settings.dfl and in startup.int.
Finally, only one error message flashed during loading the editor: "Keyboard
did not accept the new repeate settings". I have tried in vain to change the
respective keyboard parameters in settings.dfl, currently I accept the error
message using the defaults: df ks=10,1. A semicolon in front of the "df"
naturally put an end to the error message (but sadly not to the get stuck
problem). Normally I run XyWrite in a Full-screen DOS box, using a window in
the GUI only for pasting from or to the Windows clipboard.

But, when I use(d) the editor for writing (!) the editor get stuck, i.e.
does not respond to keyboard, mouse or the operative system. Text or
whatever on screen intact.

Then, I tried to install XyWrite anew from the floppies; havoc followed!
Then I did several other silly things; more havoc followed. By now NT has
been repaired, the special Fujitsu hardware (BIOS) screen saver setting
disabled, and everything seems right (even the Danish/Norwegian o-slash, the
character IBM forgot, is correctly shown), except when using the editor for
writing it somehow get stuck, i.e. does not respond to keyboard, mouse or
the operative system. Being idle (for hours) in the background, when using
other programs, it apparently does not get stuck.

The above apply both to a Full-screen DOS box, or using a window in the GUI.
And disabling the CD-ROM drive does not help at all.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Best regards from the outskirts of the world, latitude Bay of Alaska.

Einar Sudmann