Re: re So xy will be around tomorrow

Kenneth Frank:

I endorse OKannie's proposal that in the next version of XyWrite
it be possible to set defaults that would restore the tilde to its normal
ASCII use and avoid inserting the EOF character at the end of a
file. I use the discretionary hyphen sometimes, but it would be
convenient to directly input tildes in the files in which I don't.
The EOF causes a lot of mischief, which is why other programs
that insert it make it optional (e.g. PC-WRITE).

I used to get e-mail from a colleague and download it with a
number of other messages. I discovered that when I went to read the collection
USING XYWRITE, all the messages after his were invariably lost.
I have to put his last. When I asked him what program he was
using that did that kind of damage, I was astonished to find it
was XyDOS!

-- Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania