Re: ABD and DTF

** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey  on Sun, 16 Jan
2005 18:25:32 -0500

Assign DTF (DeleteThisFile) to a key. Then you have a
dedicated keystroke for deleting any file. The behavior
of ABD (ABort/Delete) is determined by a REG variable,
"ABD_ErrorPrompt_Override", which offers three (pretty
comprehensive) options:
 0=Do NOT override EP (keep PRompts)
 1=Override ABort PRompt only
 2=Override both ABort and DELete PRompts
These settings, in turn, refer to your settings for
DeFault EP ErrorPrompt -- it's a sophisticated interaction,
and you need to have your head screwed on. You might set the
ABD variable to "0", thinking that will give you delete
confirmation; but if the first and fourth bits of DeFault EP
are also set to "0"... there is no confirmation -- the file just
disappears. DTF, in contrast, always requires confirmation --
and that can be either a pain or a blessing. Your choice is
really determined by your comfort level. In a directory
listing especially, the situation can often be a bit uncertain.
Maybe you know what a filename represents -- but maybe you
don't, or you've forgotten, or you're recollection is wrong.
In any case, it doesn't hurt to take a second look. Since
DTF defaults to NOT acting (you have to hit "Y" or the minus
"-" or "Del" keys to make it proceed with deletion), you can
also use DTF as a quick device to ascertain the content of
any filename: when that little window opens, you can
PageUp|PageDown, move all around within it, read the whole
file if you want... Handy. So now you have a keystroke
that performs that service, too (in dir listings only). Plus,
assigned to a key, your cursor stays in the dir listing
instead of being on the CMline (where it probably is if
you manually command DTF). Note that the
*dir listing* of an erased file also disappears.

 nn=NOJM2,.,d,t,f,Q2

I assign it to a combination of the "-" key, like AltCtrl"-".
That way, you don't move your hand; you just hit "-" twice,
and file is toast.

> Yes, well, thanks for putting it so politely. There's a
> stronger tech idiom that could really be cited here.

I can't imagine what. I never use profanity.
Garbage in, garbage out?

R.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx