So XyW will be around tomorrow

:   But whom shall I write poison pen letters to now? ;) --Annie
:   I imagine I will still get my share ... --K.

Should I interpret that as a challenge?

Like most who post to the xylist, I've used xyWrite since the
'80s. If I were at TTG I'd be more than a little worried to find
no "I'm just learning xyWrite ..." postings here. The "bulky"
language Kevin Duval offered as an alternative to misleading TTG
voicemail and bbs messages pointing to the xylist suggests that
TTG could use some help as regards the Internet, where
opportunities to support and expand the xyWrite user base are
going to waste.
(When I logged on to post this I found your msg about TTG and the
'net, and it only reinforces my points below.)

My snotty cracks about getting 'net advice from some kid
contained a kernel of truth. TTG is near any number of
universities. You'd do well to consider having a whizkid on call
for ad hoc help with projects like getting the TTG bbs archive to
a site available to anyone with ftp access, which all major
commercial providers offer now.

Exploiting their advantages, big developers are already well
established on the 'net. I wouldn't expect such a presence of
TTG, or even much 'net sophistication (yet). Most of us who don't
enjoy academic privileges have been excluded till recently from
this public resource. With no choice but to use commercial online
services, we are still novices feeling our way without the ready
advice of expert system administrators. TTG's size does offer
advantages, however--e.g., agility.

Given xyWrite's roots as a typographic front end, I'd expect to
find a TTG presence--product annoucements, at least--in Usenet
publishing newsgroups. I suspect that many who see xyWrite
filters listed in dtp software haven't a clue what the product
is. It's not too late to announce the recent upgrades.
I emailed an answer just this week to a question that a New
Zealand newspaper consultant asked (twice, by the time I noticed
it) about integrating xyWrite and Quark. (QXP XTags and xyWrite
are symbiotic. Where are TTG's qxpxtags.prn and qxpxtags.kbd?)

The World Wide Web is exploding. xyWrite is as natural a front
end for electronic as for paper publishing; the html coding used
to write home pages likewise requires an ascii base. Where are
TTG's html.prn and html.kbd--and announcements in the related
newsgroups? (And while I'm at it , get the whizkid to write a
TTG home page too.) Seriously, imho TTG is missing some painless
opportunities. MS and Novell aren't passing them up, and Word and
WP aren't nearly as well-suited to the tasks.  --Annie

========================== annie fisher  nyc