DosBox 063 on Mac G4

Y'all,

In case anyone else has tried this, or contemplates it, I am working on
getting Xy iii+ (very retro, I know) running on a Mac PowerBook G4.

I downloaded DosBox, the current version is .063, from

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

Previous forum postings suggested using Radnor as a shell to boot
DosBox, but I found this did not work. So I booted Xy from the DosBox
window directly.

Xy found and loaded its .kbd and .prn files, and runs.

Two caveats:

1) The Mac won't relinquish its function keys (F1, F2, etc.) to the
DosBox/Xy window, w/ or w/o combinations of CTRL, CTRL+ALT, etc.; so I
had to edit my .kbd file and re-assign those Xy functions to other keys.

2) Entering formatting commands, such as «MDRV», in the text body sends
the DosBox into a tizzy. It gets into some kind of loop, the window
flickers, and characters are repeated endlessly on screen. I have to
shut down the DosBox and restart it. Has anyone else experienced this
behavior, or have a clue what is going on? If I can't get that sorted, I
guess I'll have to try Virtual PC.

To compare speed, I opened the same file on two machines, the Mac G4 and
my Dell 8100 running w2k, and scrolled through it. The file size is
126,535 bytes, making 35 pages. When the Mac finished scrolling through
it, the Dell was still on page 28. Hardware specs are: Mac: 1.33 GHz,
256MB RAM + 512KB L2 cache; Dell: 1.13GHz, 523 MB Ram. Go figure.

One nice thing about the DosBox is that I have flashing modes again

Regards,
«MDFL»