Re: Threading (Message-ID:

Well, I don't know what your "other, personal and philosophical reasons for not using AT&T," are, but don't let their tech support staff hoodwink you into using IE.

I have an AT&T account, and although I have DSL access to the Internet through another provided
(Network Access Solutions, Inc.) my home page and email set-up was AT&T, using NETSCAPE 4.74 or
6.

I started with AT&T during he $4.95 / month dial-up promotion. By the time that program was
launched I had been "on-line" for several years with a local ISP (metropolitan Washington,
DC based) and with the free Bluelight.com service, both of which allowed me to use Netscape.
Therefore, I had a rather extensively Bookmark file, and wasn't about to recreate it in IE. I
called the AT&T Tech Support, and was told that I had to use IE to get the add windows to
display properly, but I told the tech that, that wasn't going to happen, and that I would continue
to use Netscape, or unsubscribe. After a little more prodding, we were able to satisfy me. When I
switched to the DSL provider, we were able to set up a pop3 account for the DSL's post office, and I
can still access the AT&T email from anywhere on the web: home, office, any other computer
connected to the Internet. All of my personal mail access is through Netscape browser. If it works
for me, it should work for you, to!
o.

Unfortunately, you can't always count on getting the straight scoop from those who are supposed to
help you. Just this morning, a tech support worker at my office, had to be called to re-install
some software that was on a 5.25" floppy disk. The one remaining drive of that type we have
wouldn't read the disk. Upon further examination we discovered that the BIOS was set to a 360 KB
drive, not to the 1.2MB setting. He reset the BIOS, and the drive worked fine. The techie later
admitted that he didn't know that 5.25" drives could be set for 1.2MB!

Richard Henderson
Archivist
Special Media Archives Services Division
National Archives and Records Administration
8601 Adelphi Rd, MS NWCS-SPPT, Rm 5350
College Park, MD 20740-6001