Re: Linux & Cyrix

Mark Seiler wrote:

> There is a patch that is available for the 2.+ kernels that addresses
> the Cyrix processor. As I run Linux on a Pentium, I am not sure of the
> specific problem, but there is message traffic on some of the Linux
> USENET groups (comp.os.linux.hardware/srtup/misc) that make reference

  Those patches are for turning on extra functionality of the Cyrix
chip, not because there are any problems with it in either Linux or
OS/2. There are some for OS/2, and some for dos as well. The one I use
in linux just turns on the "sleep" function which powers down the cpu
when nothing is happening. Makes it run cooler. Dos, unlike linux or os2
doesn't allow idle time, so those for dos are just to enhance speed, and
the newer Cyrix chips don't have a problem with heat anyway.

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx http://www.dibbs.net/~hseaver
All is impermanent, but this too shall pass away, and the way of the