Re: Xy-Dosemu (and Dosbox) non-Postscript printer [Vista printer issues]

Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
Paul Lagasse wrote:
Add a printer wizard. I stopped WinXP from automatically finding the printer and instead worked through the printer selection menus to identify my printer.
Nope. Tried that jut now, using the Generic driver (since I don't have
an HP printer here). Enabled pooling, but when I tried to print from
Xy (having setp to the ASCII.PRN), I got printer not ready. And when I
did printf, and then tried either
copy d:\xy4\fo.tmp lpt1
or
type d:\xy4\fo.tmp>lpt1
I got
Cannot find the file specified. The "file" was, of course, lpt1; cmd.exe could definitely find d:\xy4\fo.tmp.
I've redone what I originally did in XP to see if I could figure anything out that might be helpful, and there are two things I noticed this time around.
When pooling is enabled, XP insists that you assign the pooled printer,
which was my nonexistent LPT1 CLP510a, to two ports, in my case LTP1 and
USB001. Did the faux LPT1 machine get assigned to two ports? (In XP, you
are required to do this to pool it; I forgot to, and XP complained;
don't know what Vista does.)
Second, when I tried to print a test page it failed, but I went back to
printer properties and found that pooling had apparently become disabled
somehow, and re-enabled it, and then printed a test page successfully.
If pooling has been successfully enabled, you should be able to print a
test page in Windows (or in XP at least). When I print in Xy, I use TYP,
as nothing else works for me in Windows.

Paul Lagasse