Re: OS/2 Warp + XyWrite 4.0 + Orbis

On Fri, 27 Jan 1995 06:26:53 +0900,

G'dday XyWriters and a belated Happy New Year to all.

I was one of the original posters on the problem Dan K. now seems
to be having with Orbis and XyW 4. I still haven't solved the
problem on my laptop but my office machine now shows no sign of
it. Here's what happened: Orbis would not work on my laptop with
Xy4 v.4.014 until I ran QEMM Analysis and found two memory
regions to EXCLUDE. I was running a DOS system with
QEMM/DesqView at the time. The problem was evident first under
QEMM/DesqView (and under vanilla DOS also) and later under OS/2
after I switched operating systems. I entered the exluded mem
regions in the QEMM line of config.sys and everything worked OK.
But I had upgraded the QEMM version at about the same time and I
now think this was what solved the problem. My guess is it had
something to do with the Suspend/Resume function of the laptop.
I am now using Warp and the laptop and Orbis will not work
together even *with* the memory regions excluded. I will soon try
 to re-install both Orbis and Xy4 to see if this helps.
Meanwhile, the desktop at my office, also running Warp, has no
problems with Orbis and Xy4 and I have added *nothing* to the
MEM_EXCLUDE line in the DOS settings. My conclusion is that this
is an Orbis problem, not an OS/2 problem. Further evidence is
the fact that I could not get Orbis with Ibid to work on either
computer (under DOS, QEMM/DesqView, or OS2 2.1) using either
v.4.014 or v.4015 of Xy4. I gave up and decided to be content
with Orbis working on the desktop alone.

Dan Kanagy  wrote:

>I notice in the archive there was some discussion of problems
arising
>from running XyWrite 4.0 + Orbis under OS/2. Some reference was
made to
>excluding certain memory regions. What would those regions be,
>wonder? I'd like to give that a try.
>
>I've also run into problems with XyWrite 4.0 + Orbis under OS/2,
which
>is unfortunate since I find Orbis so useful.
>
>Has any solution been found to this problem? In my case, Orbis
works in
>a crippled fashion with the risk of freezing XyWrite or
sometimes OS/2
>itself (probably the single message queue problem). One thing
that is
>certain to cause a problem is if I try to switch text bases.
Orbis will

dkanagy@xxxxxxxx
>Tokyo, Japan
dkanagy@xxxxxxxx