RE: starting XyWin in minimal mode

Pending advice from the advanced cognoscenti, I am unaware of a parameter
that would load a "vanilla" XyW; however, you might start by commenting out
all lines (by inserting a semicolon at the beginning of the line) in the
"xwstart.int" file, then removing semicolons after successive restarts of
XyW to see where the problem might lie.

xwstart.int is a program file that typically sets a default drive for
temporary files, loads help files, performs a login, loads menu, dialogue,
keyboard, settings (typically xwset.dfl), spelling, hyphenation, save/get
(or macro or phrase) files, and ends in a default directory. When I have
encountered XyWrite problems (usually when changing machines) they are
usually solved by modifying the xwstart.int or xwset.dfl files as necessary.
If the problem lies in the xwset.dfl file, commenting out with semicolons
also works.

Another source of problems also occurs to me from your "Error loading
Windows printer fonts" message: I seem to recall having this message on a
machine that had installed an unreasonable number (about 200) Windows
printer fonts, installed by a Xerox printer setup program. I later changed
printers and unloaded about three-quarters of the fonts, and do not seem to
have had the message since then. Since I don't see any reference in my XyW
settings files pointing to the location of Windows printer fonts, this
overabundance of fonts may be the problem if there is some (undocumented)
limit on the number of Windows fonts XyW can handle.

Regards,

Paul Ambos
pambos@xxxxxxxx