DOS emulation in W2K

The Windows 2000 DOS emulator can be configured to run in a window, or
full screen.

Basically:

On the desktop, right-click on a clear portion of the screen (not on an
icon) and select NEW then SHORTCUT.

In the dialog which follows, enter the fully qualified name of the DOS
program you want to run (e.g., D:\XY4\EDITOR.EXE)

Select an appropriate name and icon for the shortcut (can be easily
changed later), then click FINISH.

You now have an icon on the desktop which is set up to run the DOS program.

Now, right click on that icon and select Properties. Go to the Screen
tab, and select Full Screen.

When Xy opens in this Full Screen, it will look "ugly", occupying the full
width but not depth of the screen and with its aspect ratio distorted. You
can resolve this problem with Ultravision, or I believe through some other
tweaking of the W2K settings. As to the latter, I'm afraid that's where my
expertise drops off. But hopefully this will get you started.

A question was asked earlier about Ultravision. The program was
originally marketed by a Massachusetts company called Personics which was a
subsidiary of Datawatch. Personics also marketed a report formatter called
Monarch. Somewhere along the line, Personics seems to have disappeared and
Datawatch took over Monarch, which is now its main product. You could
start by inquiring of Datawatch, which is alive and well at
www.datawatch.com

The developers of Ultravision were Mark Horvatich and John Jurewicz. At
one time they were on Compuserve, which most everyone has now abandoned.
I'm not sure what's become of them.

Ultravision does not work with all video hardware. But I have it working
fine on a new Dell workstation as well as an IBM ThinkPad T21.

Tom Hawley
tjh@xxxxxxxx