Re: xy3 installation problems

Cam wrote:

the QuickPad Pro (QP) is a "keyboard with a screen"; ... it runs a version of DOS from ROM, along with a few simple applications, and with a little work and coaxing, it's capable of running many other DOS-friendly applications. whenever DOS apps aren't fully compatible with the QP, it's usually because of either the QP's 68180 processor or monochrome 60x16 (CGA) screen.
Went to the site--the screen looks very small. Are you saying you can see 16 lines vertically?
so i guess my first question is: do you see any hard obstacles so far?
XyIII+ can run CGA, but I don't know about the 60 columns part. The QP seems to have a capacity of only 350K, so you'd have to run the program from a Compact Flash card somehow.
i've downloaded many files from xywrite.com, and i've followed the directions found on the web page, "How to Assemble a XyWrite System On-The-Fly" (located at http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/xylite.shtml ), and i think i've safely concluded that xy4 won't work on the QP, etiology unknown.
Offhand, I can't think of a situation in which Xy3 would run but not Xy4.
i still have hope for xy3, although (a) the instructions on the web page are explicitly for xy4, and (b) the web page mentions that "A XyWrite III+ system can be created as well, using similar means and procedures", although of all the xy3 zip archives i've downloaded, none of them contain XYDOSX.EXE or INSTALL.EXE . (there is a file called "X2D.EXE" (sp?) in xywrite.com's DISK1.ZIP archive, but it just hangs the QP.)
All you actually need, in order to test it, is EDITOR.EXE. If that runs, you're in--the rest is tweaking. As I recall, editor.exe doesn't actually need *any* supporting files. Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx