Re: CLIPW (Win32) Port for Xy3+ -- Installation & Use

** Reply to message from "Robert Holmgren"  on Sat, 1 Nov
2003 01:04:00 -0500

I wrote:

> Compatibility
> -------------
> Does CLIPW-Xy3 work in Xy4? (Any chance you can avoid that
>  ugly U2 thing?) Regrettably, yes. But it is underpowered
>  compared to the Xy4 version, and backleveled from v3.58-B
>  so that it works with v3.55 (no conditional nesting). It
>  will run in Xy4, with these alterations: ...

But after thinking about this for three seconds, I realized duh! No, it won't
work. Not unless you put the frame in U2. Which would be totally pointless,
since there's a native version for Xy4 that is better (much).
-------------------------
Unrelated thought about an odd phenomenon:
I was Copying and Pasting and Testing tonight, and I copied some text from a
Windows GUI into XyWrite. An extra carriage return appeared between every line
in XyWrite -- but not in the original! This has happened to me before, and
probably to everyone. The cause is the C "text" function, which automatically
strips out the carriage return from a carriage return/line feed combination
(13/10) when reading text, and when writing text auto-prepends a carriage
return to every line feed it encounters -- the idea being that this restores
the status quo ante (restores 13/10). But the Clipboard doesn't follow this
(supremely dumb) concept -- luckily, it takes what it gets, and spews it back
out.

So what happens when you're using a Windows program that uses the C++ text
function, but you sneak text into it via the Clipboard, not letting the program
"read" the text natively? When that program later "writes" the clipped text
back out, it adds a 13 before every 10 -- although there already *are* 13/10
line endings in the text! Result: 13/13/10 -- the second 13 being the one
that was added. Visually, an extra carriage return.

Fixing it in XyWrite is easy, BTW:

XPLeNCODE v2.0
b-gin [UNTITLED]
;*; Convert all 13+13+10 to "normal" 13+10 line endings[cr|lf]
[BX_]ci {252}[255+192+145][255+192+155]{252}[255+192+155]{252}
[Q2_];*;[cr|lf]
-nd
XPLeNCODE

Robert Holmgren