Re: Flash with Xy

** Reply to message from "J. R. Fox"  on Sun, 26 Dec 2004
10:20:22 -0800

> However, I suspect that most of this is going to also be applicable in an OS/2
> | eCS situation, one way or another.

Yes. Without modification. And because the XPL approach is
hands-off/portable, you really don't need to manually intervene in any way to
launch it, apart from typing Editor. If you do the SUBST approach, you need to
intervene, or do something automated like the following. Suppose you've
pre-established that you're going to use Z: as your SUBST drive (and you've set
up DFL and INT and everything else for Z:). You put a one-byte file with an
unambiguous name (100% unlikely to exist elsewhere) in the root dir of your
memory key -- let's call it EXPAPILL.ATE -- then you cross your fingers that Z:
isn't already in use, and let fly:

@echo off
for %%V In (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y) do if exist
%%V:\EXPAPILL.ATE SUBST Z: %%V:\
Z:
cd \XY4
editor/e4096

Or, you could just type "SUBST Z: d:\" -- either way, it's ugly.

> Sounds like there is a good argument to be made for that, so long as it doesn't
> introduce anything the unwary might easily trip over.

It's full of obstacles. I stumble. You'll stumble. But then you fix it.
Power involves complexity.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx