Re: No more XP lag with Tamedos

At 12/26/2004 04:03 AM -0500, Robert Holmgren wrote:
> BX LOAD C:\XY\SETTINGS.DFL Q2 FF ;*; <== this has a PP: table, yes?
Yes, it has a PickPrinter table. And I'm glad you mentioned this. Checking
it, I noticed DF EG=1, which was giving me a vertical scroll bar and a lot
of hidden window in the DosBox. Changed this to EG=0, forcing a 25-line
configuration, which I want, and this allowed me to eliminate the sl=26
default from startup.int.
Meanwhile, I did not see anything else in the PP table that might be
causing problems, but then I'm missing something somewhere so...

PP:1
LPT1  C:\XY\HP4-PLUS.PRN   HP LaserJet 4 Plus
;just delete semi-colon below to restore with proper spacing
;LPT1  C:\XY\HPLJ-3P.PRN    HP LaserJet IIIP
DF P.=14
DF MG=
;;;DF RL=[default ruler markers]
DF RL=[New ruler markers]LR
;DF WB=[Default window border chars]
DF WB=[New window border chars]
DF RN=0
SG1984=1
df lh=80,45,25
;DF EG=1
DF EG=0
DF AZ=0
SG1951=.$
> BX LOAD C:\XY\PERS.SPL Q2 ;*;   <== move to bottom of file, before NR

Done. See below
> BX LOAD C:\XY\XY4.MNU+C:\XY\XY4.DLG Q2 ;*;
> BX SETP 1 Q2 FF ;*;
> BX LOAD C:\XY\XYWWWEB.U2 Q2 ;*;
> BX LOAD C:\XY\XY4.KBD Q2 ;*; <==move above, after SETTINGS.DFL

Done see below.
> BX DSORT F,E Q2 ;*;
> BX DIR Q2 ;*;        <==you can't open a window here, and then...
> BX Default SL=26 Q2 ;*; <==...set the window size here

With the new EG I don't need the above.
> BX ;*;  <== No BX!!! That could cause MAJOR problems.
  You're not "Blind_eXecuting" anything; you're just putting content
in a Save/Get -- there is no Q2 to complement the Blind_eXecute, so XyWrite
  could go bananas here

Sorry, this was a type-o. Never had the BX.
> NR

Michael, make the BX DIRQ2 command _last_:

... NR BC BX dirQ2

Done. See below.
I'm just curious, why the func FFs?
I'm not sure what I put them there; I can't remember. Likely I was aping
something from the archives. Frankly I do a lot of that, understanding only
the rudiments of the function or the command or the recommended string.
Then either you or Carl asks an...ahem...provocative question (and we're
delighted you're back asking them, at least temporarily) and I say, Yeah,
why in the hell would you want XY to refresh the screen after loading
settings.dfl? Makes no sense.
 BTW, do you have a DeFault DR= spec in SETTINGS.DFL?
What does it say? If you don't have one, you should have one...
Glad you asked this too. I didn't, but added *df dr=c:\xy* for lack of
something better. Manual says you can use this to take advantage of a ram
disk. Frankly I'd forgotten about ram disks. (I'll have to read up on this,
ram disks for XP). At all events, I added the df and it had no effect on
the anomalies (more on them in a moment). I'm sure there's a better path
statement than the one I temporarily offer here.
Change [startup] around, and then tell us what anomalies persist.

Here's the latest startup.int, with exact spacing:

BX DEFAULT DR=C:\XYQ2 ;*;
BX LOAD C:\XY\SETTINGS.DFLQ2 ;*;
BX LOAD C:\XY\XY4.KBDQ2 ;*;
BX LOAD C:\XY\XY4.MNU+C:\XY\XY4.DLGQ2 ;*;
BX SETP 1Q2 ;*;
BX LOAD C:\XY\XYWWWEB.U2Q2 ;*;
BX DSORT F,EQ2 ;*;
;*;
BX LOAD C:\XY\PERS.SPLQ2 ;*;
NR BC BX DIRQ2

ANOMALIES:
1. Program comes up in window #2. I have to F11(AS) to window#1 which has a directory listing. 2. As soon as I call up a file, I get an *X* indicator (for temporary file) in the status line section of the command box. The X persists throughout the session.
Some testing I've done. At your urging, I tried _JM 2.GetXyOSQ2 ;*;_ in
lieu of , putting the line in the same position in the
startup queue. It gives me all the anomalies above with the following
variations: A) With SV652 the X indicator appears only after I have opened
a file created in a previous session; with JM 2 the X indicator appears on
startup. B) JM 2 also turns NUMLOCK on. And that prompted my question to
you about the interaction of U2 settings and TAME. In his FAQ's, TAME's
author says, "By default, Tame does toggle NUMLOCK in order to correct a
problem with Windows handling of the NUMLOCK. This feature may be disable
by setting a registry value..." etc. Again, I may be getting five from two
plus two.

QUESTIONS:
1. Thinking about the first anomaly, on startup something is forcing XY to open a second window after it puts a directory listing in the first window. I have the feeling it's a XY setting, but reading both the Customization Guide and the Command Reference Guide, I can't find it.
2. I don't have a clue what's causing the second anomaly, the X indicator.
Does this mean XY is constantly writing from memory to disk, or thinks it
is in a VDM? And is this injurious?

As always, thanks for thinking about all this.
Michael Norman