Re: Wildcard error message

Emery wrote: "I suspect Word, and not your author."
So would I, except that I looked at (and printed) the file in Word, and
they weren't footnotes there either. The author confirms that she didn't
use the footnote feature (and given that she wrote it, not in Word
itself, but in MS Works' word processor, I'm not sure she even had it).
You can also see the HTML/XML (hereafter, on the analogy of *nix, let's
call this *ML) code underlying Word docs by hitting SHIFT F11 with the
file open in Word 2000 and up. Redundancy, thy name is Microsoft.
Carl wrote: "file size (or the number of page elements, or whatever)
should trigger a command syntax error"
I seem to recall, though couldn't find it when searching the archive,
that when this was discussed before someone (?Robert?) mentioned
something about a memory boundary being overrun or overwritten. If so, it
would appear to be a result of the EMS frame-swapping kludge.
Carl--is there any way to make DREF run with CI, rather than CV? It took
me a half an hour, and my index finger was lame from pressing Y, to get
that file cleaned up. I realize CV is safer, but since I always keep the
original file, both in its original format and in the
fresh-from-conversion Xy form for comparison, there are frequently
occasions when I'm willing to take a chance with CI.
Patricia