Xy4 Dos Bugs

On 12-MAY-1996 15:16:38.0 xywrite said to LESLIE319
  >Quoting
  >-> On 9-MAY-1996 21:26:54.5 xywrite said to LESLIE319
  >->
  >-> >1) The fix-spell function (ES) no longer returns the cursor to the
  >-> >location at which the function is called, but simply puts it on the
  >-> >word, which I find very annoying.
  >->
  >-> Why? Isn't it more logical to put it on the next word?
  >I type fast. By the time I register a misspelled word beep I've typed
  >several words beyond the misspelled one.

  Oh I get it now. You have a point.

  >Which means that if the cursor
  >doesn't go back to where I was typing I have to put it there myself.
  >I like to hit Ctrl+E, correct the word and start typing before the menu
  >has even cleared the screen.

  Speediness itself! :-)

  >-> >Thus if my printer runs out of paper at page 80 of a document, it
  >-> will >abort the print job and I will have to set the page range and
  >-> continue.
  >-> Oh surely not. This happens to me all the time. Sometimes I have
  >-> to print out 200 or so pp. at once and when my HP Laser 4V runs out
  >-> of paper, it simply pauses and politely waits for you to insert
  >-> more, and then
  >-> continues on its way. Ditto for a paper jam.

  >Perhaps your printer has so much memory that the whole document is
  >loaded into the printer before you run out of paper?
  >->
  Oh indeed yes. That surely is it. It's a Laser4V with 2 meg of Ram, and it runs off
a Novell LAN, too.

  >-> >2.1) Speaking of setting the page range, I have found what appear
  >-> to be >actual bugs with that. First, it doesn't seem to work at all
  >-> if you are >printing out pages in reverse order.
  >->
  >-> A curious thing to want to do. I think Tech Group can be forgiven
  >-> for failure to anticipate that some people might attempt such an
  >-> endeavor

  >The way my printer works, if I print out a document in forward order,
  >pages 1-100, 100 will be the top page and 1 will be the bottom page and
  >I'll have to resort them by hand. And since Tech Group created the
  >option to print in reverse order, I think they realized people would
  >want that.

  No kidding? A curious sort of printer indeed.

  >-> >Second, setting the page range to
  >-> >pages 1-3 will print out pages 1-6!
  >->
  >-> Say what??? This doth not happen to me.
  >Hmmm, I don't know what's going on here. It's a major problem for me.
  >Perhaps I have something set in the settings file that is interfering.
  >I've found that sometimes a bug only happens in very specific
  >circumstances.
  >->
  Sounds like it. I would call Tech Support and ask them to take a look at your
settings files.

  >-> But Charles: What about wildcard search and replace?  What about
  >-> calling up 90s-sized megafiles without the quaint and curious
  >-> "creating temporary file, do not remove C" message, of which we are
  >-> all so fond? What about mouse support? What about the cool little
  >-> thingummy on the right side of the screen that tells thee how much
  >-> more of the file thou hast to go? What about being able to choose
  >-> fonts, point sizes w/o remembering PT tables? And (if you're using
  >-> the DOS version) the hours of fun you can have trying to customize
  >-> the color of every element in the header, including t stately clock
  >-> that appears up there if you ask nicely.

  >Yeah, Xy4 added a lot of cool stuff. Customization was improved a good
  >deal (although XPL is still horribly primitive compared to other word
  >processor languages I've seen).

  Can't say. I know no others. Apparently XyWrite is making the move up to Visual
Basic, anyway.

  >But I still prefer a simpler
  >application that has less bugs. (The reason I use Xy4 rather than III+
  >is that for some reason III+ used to truncate long documents on me.
  >Something the size of the Xy III+ help file could not be edited in III+.
  >If not for that I would probably not use IV).

  Well I surely can't deny that the more complex you make something, the more bugs there
will be. And then of course we have the sad history of IBM and it's cyanotic
interference. I would reckon thehre's still stuff in version 4 that IBM had thrown in
there that the Tech Groupies still haven't rooted out.
  Anyway, good luck with the printer problem.

Regards,

--Leslie--
`[1;33;43mRainbow V 1.19.1 for Delphi - Registered