switching of files

 from Morris Krok
 essence@xxxxxxxx

 Ever since I purchased my first computer in 1986, I have written hundreds
of files that were saved into different directories. After collecting the
names of these files into one file and listing them in a special format, I
use Program Calchang.pm to alternate from one file to another so as to give
me a bird's eye view of each file. However, to fully scroll, read and edit a
file, I have to press the Escape key to close the program but to leave the
file on the monitor .

 Special Format
ca c:\xydoc\ADCOLD.WRD
ca c:\mtxwrd\ADV.WRD
ca c:\misxy\BANS.WRD
ca c:\misxy\BOOKNUT.WRD
ca c:\misxy\BOOKS.WRD
ca c:\mtxwrd\CARD.WRD
ca c:\xydoc\CARTE.WRD
ca c:\xydoc\CARTXY.WRD
ca c:\xydoc\CARXY.WRD
ca c:\xydoc\ABBREV.TXT
ca c:\misxy\ACADEM~1.TXT
ca c:\misxy\ACADEM~2.TXT
ca c:\misxy\ACADVAN.TXT
ca c:\misxy\ADAMS.FAX win
ca c:\misxy\ADCOMP.pm
ca c:\misxy\ADDON.LEC

 PROGRAM CALCHANG.PM
)>î>==1>
==2>
==0>
DL YD DF LE CL DF YD BC abXC BC XC AS BC ca
c:\mtxdir\mtxcal.cllXC BC se //XC CD LB BC GT AS
BC abXC AS
AS BC abXC AS

 NB After pressing C to call up the first file, you only have to press J to
switch from one file to the next. But only scroll or edit the file after
pressing the Escape key.

 For changing Calchang.pm into the above form, I have used Herb Tyson's
Unpfunc.pm from his book XyWrite Revealed page 295. This file reads as
follows:

><>0>DF CL DF CR
YD

 I have also used a short program to place the chevrons on the command line.
Then I use the CI command alternatively, to change the the left facing
chevron to "<" and the right facing chevron to ">".

1