Footnote number size

Harry Binswanger wrote (in part)

>How do you change the font and size of the footnote numbers as they appear
>in the body of the document--i.e., as the antecedent symbol to which the
>footnote content then refers?

(a) Foot-(or end-)note indicators (which won't necessarily be numbers, of
course) apparently perform like any other superscript characters so far as
size and elevation above the text baseline; i.e., the note indicator obey
the same formatting instructions given for any superscript character.
(b) Both the height (above text baseline) and the size of super-(or
sub-)script characters are governed by the LH default. This default is
specified in the file XwSet.dfl in XyWin; in XyDOS 4 it's Settings.dfl.

In my XwSet.dfl (i.e. for XyWin) this relevant lines read as follows:
  >; LH (low-high) sets super/subscript: percent size, percent up,
percent down
  >;DF LH=olim 50,117,22 (changed 28-2-97 to 65,55,35)
  >;DF LH=65,55,35 (changed 4-4-97 to 78,60,35)
  >DF LH=78,60,35
[Attentive readers may infer from this a somewhat indecisive temperament;
they will not be wholly mistaken.]

My Settings.dfl (i.e. for XyDOS 4) omits the explanatory line (i.e. "; LH
(low-high) sets ...") helpfully provided in XyWin.

So far, so simple. But as for the other half of Harry's question --
changing the _font_ of foot-(or end-)note indicators in the text -- I
surmise that the indicators must appear in the same font as the surrounding
text.

I guess it would be possible to create specifications for a separate Style,
and write a program that invokes that Style immediately before the
footnote, and reverts to the prevailing Style immediately after it. This
would require, of course, that the text itself (i.e. body type) also have a
style, invoked at the beginning of the text and available to be re-invoked
after every foot-(end-)note. I haven't tried this, but I suppose the
principle would be something like (for the following, <...> standing for
guillemets):
(A) Create two Styles (e.g. SStx and SSfn) and
(B) insert the Style parameters at the top of the file ( must
precede the first );
(C) input/edit the note(s) as normal; in Expanded view, the result would
read
         ... text runs along but after a footnote the text resumes ...
(D) When text is finalized and ready to print, go to Draft or Page-Line
view, so that foot-(end-)notes appear _only_ as deltas; then run a macro
which does the following:
    (a) search for <
    (d) cursor right
    (e) insert

What I don't like about this is that it assumes only one Style throughout
the document (Style "tx") except for the note numbers. Suppose the text
includes running prose, lists, indented quotations, and subheads -- any of
which is liable to have a footnote cue attached to it. Then instead of
inserting  after the footnote my macro has to find out what was the
last prevailing Style before the footnote intervened, and insert the
pertinent  after the footnote.

Since I wrote the above I see that Holmgren intends to add something to
XyWWWeb.U2 that deals with Harry's problem. I'll be glad to see it -- and,
indeed, to adapt it to other purposes, since the effect I'm after under
"(e)" above ("find out what the previous Style was and return to it") has
many uses besides the one we're talking about here.

Cheers
Eric Van Tassel