Re: Don't get the virus... I did

Now that we've had our fun dumping on Microsoft and Windows, it may be appropriate to remember that anything based on gobs of code laid down by overworked programmers can be vulnerable. The size and market share of Microsoft simply make it a luscious target for the wackos and sociopathic hackers. If OS/2 had the reach and power of Microsoft, I have no doubt it would be targeted too.

Good practice is good practice regardless of the platform or application: Back up, run anti-virus
software, trust only known sources.

Yeah, operating systems can be made more robust, and stupid mistakes are more possible when you have
no competition. But a lot of the infections, this time or any time, are invited and allowed by folks
who should know better.

I'm no apologist for Gates/Microsoft, by the way; I spend most of my workdays in its arch-rival (in
some arenas), Lotus Notes (also flawed in some ways but not the target of hackers, thank goodness).

Tim Baehr
tbaehr@xxxxxxxx