pronouns (was: Footnotes/Endnotes formatting)

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Carl Distefano wrote:
how common they are. What bothers me, more than the whittling away
of what little inflection is left in the language, is the prissy
notion that it's rude to say "me" in polite company. An overblown
fear of giving offense is what drives these stupid utterances; the
accusative taken to a literal extreme. It's ridiculous.
Ah, yes, and let's remember that "myself" is more polite than "me"
(whereas it should really be more self-centered)! I'm sure we've all
heard things like, "He sent copies of the letter to Kim and myself."
What on earth started the popular feeling that "me" is somehow too vulgar
here? I should look in Fowler when I get home, if the "-self" habit isn't
too late an excrescence for my Gowers edition.

Just sharing your peeve, Carl.

--Carlo

thyrsus@xxxxxxxx