Re: Highlighting a line

James,
	Have you investigated using Ibid for your address book? I don't
know if Ibid Plus is available for Xy, but it's simply a customized
version that adds greater flexibility for further customizing your
database. You can still do similar things in regular Ibid. The "short
view" list *does* highlight the line the cursor is on as you scroll
though the selected records (including "all records"). 700 items is a
mere drop in its capacity. Records *are* stored as ascii, and management
is very fast. So--your idea of doing it within Xy is quite possible, and
you can dump the resource-consuming QEdit phone book, without elaborate
reprogramming of Xy code. Of course, if you don't already have Ibid,
there is that added expense.

	Dorothy Day

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997 jbesser@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> In <970320142609_1781917394@xxxxxxxx>, on 03/20/97
>  at 02:26 PM, TBaehr@xxxxxxxx said:
>
> >Maybe you're defining the problem with the supposed solution. If you
> >want to be able to find the cursor (rather than literally highlight a
> >line), you might consider running XyWrite under Windows from a DOS box.
> >If the DOS session is windowed, you can use any of a number of utilities
>
> Thanks to you and everyone else who responded.
>
> Finding the cursor is only part of the problem. I started to think about this
> when I was considering jettisoning my resource-hogging phone directory program
> and using a simple XyWrite file; it would be a great convenience to be able to
> scroll down the file, and have each line be highlighted as I did so. I had hoped
> there was some simple way to do this, since it's a normal function for Qedit.
>
> If it's gonna take a lot of fiddling, I'll stick with my kludgy phone directory.
> Actually, the real problem is the size of the directory--more than 700 entries.
> ALmost ANYTHING but a straight ascii file is going to be slow.
>
> As for Windows: perish the thought. But I might look around for a good
> OS/2 cursor program, since I DO run Xy/Dos from a DOS box.
>
>            James D. Besser, Washington Correspondent
>    Fax: 703.978.3675 * E-mail: jbesser@xxxxxxxx , jdbesser@xxxxxxxx
>           PO Box 1292, Springfield, VA 22151

---
Dorothy Day