Re: Xywrite history

	Is this true? MSWord was written to compete
	with Xywrite way back in the ....
------------- quote
Sender: Meme -- Information on Cyberspace
From: "David S. Bennahum"
Subject:   [tiny]MEME: Extra Life tour rolls on...
To: MEME@xxxxxxxx

Seattle, November 17, 1998

Dear MEME readers,
I just got back to my hotel from dinner with several MEME subscribers who
live in Seattle. They took me to a fantastic Chinese restaurant that was
so good it distracted me from remembering the name. Our group gathered
after a reading I gave of Extra Life at Borders Books in downtown Seattle.
Here in deep Microsoft territory, I had the pleasure of being joined by
Richard Brodie, author of Virus of the Mind, and an early Microsoft
employee who in 1981 wrote the first version of Microsoft Word (to compete
with XYWrite, for those who remember). Brodie says the first version was
about 30,000 lines of code long, and that he still gets messages from
people asking for MS-Word help.
	--- [ some deleted ds ] ----
    Extra Life: Coming of Age in Cyberspace
    http://www.extralife.org/
    "A Catcher in the Rye for the Atari Generation,"
        Douglas Rushkoff, author Media Virus

ORDER EXTRA LIFE
    http://www.extralife.org/index.html#orders
BOOK TOUR SCHEDULE